- Health Canada announced on the 16th. of December 2010 that it’s issuing a recall on ten “stop sale” hair smoothing products. The levels of formaldehyde found in these products exceed the limit according to Health Canada.
The Allied Beauty Association has notified Salon Magazine that it “fully supports safe products and a safe workplace but also believes that its members are entitled to the benefit of sound science and current testing methods.” Questions have been raised over Health Canada’s methodology of testing and whether they’re using outdated information.
The ABA says, “All we are asking is that Health Canada ensure that its testing methods are based upon sound science and, if hazards truly exist, then cosmetologists and the public are entitled to full protection.”
Professional industry manufacturers and distributors are currently in conversation with Health Canada to review their testing methods. For now, distributors will likely be receiving instructions on how to handle this recent recall and will pass on the information to their salons.
The ten products being recalled by Health Canada are:
- Brazilian Keratin Treatment by Marcia Teixeira
- Advanced Brazilian Keratin Treatment by Marcia Teixeira
- Chocolate Extreme De-Frizzing Treatment by Marcia Teixeira
- Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy by Coppola
- Global Keratin Taming System Strawberry by Global Keratin
- Global Keratin Taming System with Juvexin Strawberry Resistant by Global Keratin
- Global Keratin Taming System with Juvexin Strawberry Light Wave by Global Keratin
- Pro-Collagen RX Keratin Treatment
- IStraight Keratin (Advanced Keratin Treatment) by IBS Beauty
- Brazilian Thermal Reconstruction by Cadiveu
-By salon52 staff